Acropolis Times

The Student News Site of Athens High School

Acropolis Times

Acropolis Times

Teacher of the Year
October 27, 2023
The Band Marches On
November 2, 2022

Teacher of the Year

Every year the teachers and staff take time to vote for another teacher to have the honorable title of “Teacher of the Year.” This is a tradition that has been around for as long as anyone can remember. We have had many amazing teachers that have received this award for all of their hard work and dedication. The honor has been given to twelfth-grade English and AVID teacher Ms. Stacy Willoughby. 

“There are a lot of deserving teachers of this award, we have amazing people in this building” she said.

Ms. Willoughby led teachers’ professional development this summer by creating a social contract to prepare incoming and veteran teachers for the upcoming school year. Because she was leading this professional development, she said “I think the main reason I won is because I led a group of teachers for a social contract during the summer, and we all had a great time.”

Building relationships with your students may be one of the most important parts of being a teacher and Ms. Willoughby is known for her passion in the classroom. 

“The key is to not assume you already know about a student. I think my life has proved that to me because of all of the things that have happened and the situations I’ve been in,” said Ms. Willoughby. 

Many of her peers see her love of teaching and are proud that she was chosen for this honor. 

“I think she’s a fantastic teacher and advocate for our students. As long as I’ve known her, her main focus has been helping students where they are. She gives every student the opportunity for success,” said Ms. Vicki Noah.