Rho Kappa Inducts Its Newest Members

Rho Kappa Logo

Caroline Mallette, Reporter

The Mike Jones Chapter of Rho Kappa is holding inductions for new members on Oct. 18 in the APAC.

Rho Kappa is a national organization that focuses on interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for social studies. To be considered for admittance into the club, the student must uphold an 85 overall GPA and an 88 in their core social studies classes. Sending in an application to the club’s sponsors, Ms. Paige Hicks and Mrs. Amanda Gudmundsson, to review is the next step. About 75 members are inducted each year.

“Students will gather in the APAC,” Ms. Hicks said. “Rho Kappa officers will speak on the characteristics of Rho Kappa members, and each member will be recognized.”

Rho Kappa has been limited the past few years concerning club activities because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but they have sponsored Mental Health Awareness Week for the past two years.

“The goal of this project is to diminish the stigma around mental health and promote awareness for students’ mental health both in and out of school,” club president, Claire Lawrence said. “As a mental health advocate myself, I believe this week is crucial for the well-being of our students and school as a whole, and I’m very honored to be a part of an organization that supports this cause!”

The members of Rho Kappa are expected to uphold the characteristics of truth, knowledge, wisdom and service in and outside the classroom. They must also maintain high grades. 

“Rho Kappa members are expected to be selfless, serve their school and community, and be scholarly,” Lawrence said.

Rho Kappa is the only high school organization that recognizes excellence in social studies, and our sponsors are happy to offer it to students. 

When asked what her  favorite thing about Rho Kappa was, Mrs. Gudmundsson said, “That it celebrates the importance of social studies in our lives.” She then quoted Winston Churchill, “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat  it.”