JROTC Program Honors Their Own

JROTC cadets line up across the stage of the Athens Performing Arts Center (APAC) displaying their certificates. “Our cadets earn either National Awards provided by organizations such as the 101st Airborne Division Association and the Association of the United States Army (AUSA), or Local Awards such as the Personal Appearance Ribbon. All of these awards become part of the cadets permanent uniform and they can be observed wearing them on the left side of their uniform with pride!” Chief Chambers said.

Jocelyn Tino Vicente, Reporter

JROTC awards day was on April 21, 2022. JROTC is a military program offered to help high school students develop their capacity for citizenship, leadership, character building and service to the community. This awards day is only for JROTC members.  

“The JROTC Awards Ceremony is our ‘Sports Banquet.’” Chief James Chambers said. “It allows us the opportunity to award our cadets for their tremendous work throughout the school year.” 

There are different things the members could have accomplished throughout the year. The program is a good thing to be in because participants can learn a variety of things and have many accomplishments. They also have the opportunity to create bonds with the other members of JROTC. 

“I wouldn’t change anything that happened April 21 because I had fun hanging out with everyone and enjoyed the time I got with my friends before some of them left for work or other things they had to do that day after the ceremony,” freshman Brianna Ramos said. 

This day took time to plan and get ready, but the people who planned it did a wonderful job. The student members had fun and made good memories.

“The awards day takes weeks of preparation to coordinate with the external presenters who provide many of the awards,” Chief Chambers said. “What I was most proud of was the fact that we had just completed our 3 years accreditation prior to spring break and did not have as much time to prepare for the awards ceremony as previous years. With little time, our staff was able to make the necessary coordination and prepare all awards in a timely manner.”